Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This solution contains no resources scoped for a web application and cannot be deployed to a particular web application

I recently ran an STSADM command to deploy my solution but when I did I got an unanticipated error. Here was the command:

stsadm -o deploysolution -name MySolution.wsp -immediate -url http://myurl


I scoped the solution to a particular site on my server to deploy the solution, which is the problem. I got the following error:

"This solution contains no resources scoped for a web application and cannot be deployed to a particular web application"

The problem is my solution did not contain an assembly (no GAC files) to be scoped to my Web Application.

To fix this, simply remove the URL parameter from the STSADM command. In a nutshell, you do not need use the Url parameter in an STSADM command while deploying or retracting a solution that does not contain any assemblies.

Your solution should now read:
stsadm -o deploysolution -name MySolution.wsp -immediate

No comments: